I am currently a freelance designer and researcher, with a passion for applying community- and human-centered design to local and global development. I have worked with organizations such as the World Bank, the International Rescue Committee, Open Society Foundations, Population Services International, Internews, Bread for the City, Safe Horizon, and Democracy Works on topics ranging from financial inclusion and consumer protection, to healthcare, education, and civil and human rights.
In my spare time, you will find me volunteering as a teacher, a translator, or a crisis mapper. Most recently, I co-founded Design Gigs for Good, a job board for opportunities at the intersection of design and social impact. I am a graduate of Sciences Po Paris where I studied International Business and Middle Eastern and Mediterranean Affairs. I also studied design innovation at the Paris Est d.school and User Experience design at General Assembly.
In the "Media"
- AIGA EMERGE, Interview with Sarah Fathallah
- DAI Digital, 5 Recent Reads We Loved (And You May Have Missed!)
- Al Ordon Alyoom (Jordanian news channel), SHEDesigner interview (in Arabic)
- Coding It Forward, The New Movement Recruiting Designers for Social Good
- Paris Est d.school, Testimonials of ME310 Paris alumni: Sarah Fathallah (in French)
- OpenIDEO, OpenIDEATOR Insight: Sarah Fathallah
Design coach for the following courses at
Guest lecturer at:
Speaker, panelist, or workshop facilitator at the following events:
- Better World by Design, Providence, September 2012
- TEDxDUMBO, Brooklyn, October 2012
- Mobile World Congress, Barcelona, February 2013
- Design Thinking: DC, Washington DC, March 2014
- Service Experience Chicago, Virtual, February 2016
- Service Design Global Conference, Amsterdam, October 2016
- UX Burlington, Burlington, June 2017
- General Assembly, San Francisco, June 2017
- SHEDesigner, Amman, January 2018
- Design Research, Melbourne, March 2018
To check out my writing, including for GOOD Magazine and Benevolent Media, head on over to my Medium blog.
In addition, these are publications that I co-authored:
- Embracing Informality: Designing Financial Services for China's Marginalized, Reboot, 2012
- Better Insights for Better Products: Lessons Learned from 3 Applied Product Innovation Projects, CGAP, 2013
- Coordination Structures for Financial Inclusion Strategies and Reforms, World Bank Group, 2013
- National Financial Inclusion Strategies Coordination Structures: Country Examples, World Bank Group, 2014
- Establishing a Financial Consumer Protection Department: Key Observations and Lessons Learned in Five Case Study Countries, World Bank Group, 2014
- National Financial Inclusion Strategies, World Bank Group, 2015
- Template for the Design of a National Financial Inclusion Strategy, World Bank Group, 2016